Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Wait, What?

So, I was reading on the CDC.gov website and I noticed something peculiar. First of all, I was reading about childhood obesity. I read about how it is more prevalent in Hispanics. Then it talked about non-Hispanic blacks and I thought, "That's funny. I've never heard of a black person who considers themselves Hispanic, 'Hispanic black.' " There probably are some, I don't know of any, though, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. Then it talked about non-Hispanic whites. A term, with which I am very familiar. I'm used to the comparison of Hispanic vs non-Hispanic white. Though, when I first had that option placed before me I thought it was a weird distinction. Why would that wording be used to describe me, but, oh well. Then it talked about non-Hispanic Asians. Then I thought, "Wait a minute!" Come on! When did we come to the point where we are describing ourselves as whether we are Hispanic or not? This was the United States of America's Center for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Now, I know that race becomes an issue when you discuss certain diseases. I get that. So, that is important to know. But why not say white, Hispanic, black, Asian, etc. Why the distinction of Hispanic versus non-Hispanic?

Come on, if you really want to be "politically correct" the United States of America declared their independence from England so maybe we should be calling everyone English vs non-English. Okay, well the colonists didn't want to be a part of England any more so maybe American vs non-American should be better. Oh, but wait! The Native Americans were here first. Why not Native Americans vs non-Native Americans. Oh, but that brings me to my other issue. There are people who claim to be native to California or native to Arizona or native to New York (I think you get the idea) but non of those people also claim to be native to America.

When and why did we start labeling people Hispanic versus non-Hispanic?

I'd appreciate your comments on this to help me understand. Not to ridicule, but to help clarify. Stay tuned - I'll be posting more about this issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment