Friday, June 10, 2016

Freedom of Speech

I believe in the Constitution. I believe in the Bill of Rights. I believe in the 1st Amendment.

I believe everyone has the right to say what ever they want to say. Oh, but wait a minute. I also believe in domestic tranquility - that everyone has the right to feel safe and secure. Therefore, so long as I respectfully state my opinion while respecting your opinion we should be okay.

Why is it that when I state my opinion on how I feel about something I am automatically accused of not being tolerant. Why is it okay for me to accept you for who you are and what you believe but you can't accept me and my beliefs? (I am not referring to everyone who disagrees with me, just those who say I am wrong because I think differently than they do.)

So, why am I talking about freedom of speech? Well, this month, I'll be posting some things that are controversial. I want everyone who reads my posts to know that I am not attacking anyone. I am merely stating my opinion. If you want me to respect you and your opinion and beliefs, please respect mine.

Recently, on Facebook, I posted something I was thought was funny. Someone (of a different faith than mine) posted something about how the trinity doesn't make any sense. I liked it. I re-posted it onto my timeline. Someone then made a comment about how I shouldn't be making fun of other people's beliefs because I wouldn't like it if anyone made fun on my beliefs. To be honest, I just thought it was funny. Can't something just be funny? Perhaps I thought it was funny because being someone who believes the Godhead is made up of 3 individuals I can't comprehend the Trinity. I wasn't attacking anyone. I've actually had a conversation with someone before trying to have her explain it to me in a way that I could understand. She couldn't. She told me that it was like an egg. There is the shell, the white, and the yolk. I told her that they are still 3 separate parts: the shell, the white, and the yolk and all together they make up an egg. She got frustrated that I used her analogy to explain my belief of the godhead. Fortunately there was another person listening to our discussion; she stated that I wasn't attacking my friend, I was trying to have a conversation and yet she was attacking me.

Here is another example. I am not a huge Obama fan. I did not vote for him. He is not my favorite president. However, I do not say mean or hurtful things about the man. Nor do I insult anyone who voted for him or continue to support him. I respect the office of the President of the United States. I respect the rights of other people to like and support him as our president. I don't have the right to be mean and hurtful just because I don't agree with him. He has the right to domestic tranquility. His supporters have the right to domestic tranquility. We all do.

My point is, I don't attack. At least not intentionally. My freedoms are dear to me and I treasure them. I do not deny anyone else those freedoms. Let me say what I think and believe and you can say what you believe. I apologize if anything seems like I was attacking you, it was purely unintentional.


Bill of Rights

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Preamble

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment