Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Feminists

I am a feminist, but not a feminist in the way you might think. Dictionary.com states that feminism means "advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men." Although I believe women should have the same opportunities as men (for the most part) and should get paid fairly for their work. I don't believe women should be treated the same as men.

I am a feminist in the fact I believe in women. I believe women should be all they can be. I believe women are special and should be treated as princesses. When I was younger I believed women were superior to men. Now I know that women are special in their own way just as men are special in their own way.

I am a feminist because I believe that their femininity should be celebrated. Motherhood is a marvelous gift. Breastfeeding should not be a taboo. Women shouldn't be afraid to talk about their menstrual cycles, miscarriages, labor, postpartum experiences, and menopause. Girls should grow up knowing how wonderful they are to be a woman. The should grow up defending their rights as a woman.

I am a feminist because I don't think women are equal to men. I don't think we should spend our time trying to erase the divide between men and women. As the kindergarten student so eloquently stated in the movie, Kindergarten cop, "Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina." Adding to his statement, men have a Y chromosome, women do not. Women have estrogen and men have testosterone. These are the fundamental building blocks for what makes us different to begin with. Instead of trying to take the gender definition away, let's clearly define it! If girls grew up celebrating their womanhood instead of being told they need to be equal to men, perhaps there wouldn't be as many rapes or battered women.

Now, I know this goes into the gender debate and I already have a post on that subject.

What I am try to say is we are all unique in our own way. I believe everyone, male and female, should have equal opportunities for school and work. That doesn't mean that I want my rights as a female to be taken away. I want to celebrate everyone for who and what they are. Everyone should be given a chance based on their merits not their gender. That doesn't mean that their gender doesn't mean anything at all. Don't take away my rights as a women just to make men and women equal, 'cuz let's face it. We are not equal. Men are naturally stronger. Women have the capability of bearing children. The differences in men and women are not meant to be a competition. It is meant for us to work together as a team.

I am a feminist because I love being a woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment